HOLLYWOOD

Italian Judges Reject Prosecutor’s Query to Re-Detain Paul Haggis In Sexual Assault Case

Italian judges hold rejected a ask by speak prosecutors to re-detain Canadian director Paul Haggis, whereas an investigation into sexual assault allegations in opposition to him continues.

Local news company Ansa reported over the weekend that appeals courtroom judges Livia Orlando and Gualberto Buccarelli within the southern Italian city of Lecce had overturned the ask.

The Oscar-successful Crash director used to be first arrested on June 19, whereas attending a culture competition within the town of Ostuni, shut to the port city of Brindisi, following accusations of sexual assault by a younger girl, reportedly of British starting effect.

She alleged that the director had over and over sexually abused her over the course of three days from June 12 and 15.

They had first met at theMonte Carlo Film Festival in April, which ended in the invite for the girl to hitch the director in Ostuni.

Haggis strongly denies the allegations. In an interview with the Italian newspaper La Repubblica in mid-July, he said his biggest mistake had been to invite any individual to hitch him who he infrequently knew.

After before all the pieces being imprisoned, Haggis used to be positioned below home arrest. Preliminary investigations have shut Wilma Gilli lifted the measure on July 4 ruled, announcing it used to be now not wanted as Haggis did now not pose a chance.

Prosecutors straight sought to to find Haggis re-detained.

Haggis has remained within the Ostuni position because the investigation unfolds and has now not made any strive to leave Italy.

His Italian attorney Michele Laforgia said in assertion following the Lecce ruling that he anticipated the case to be shelved within the coming days.

There has been no train from the prosecutors or Italian judiciary to this level on whether it will seemingly be the case. Having sought his re-arrest, it is miles seemingly that prosecutors will push for the topic to switch to trial. Nonetheless the decision will leisure with Gilli who would possibly perhaps perhaps well have shut there are now not ample grounds for a paunchy trial.

Italy’s judicial machine is infamous for its drawn-out processes and extra than one appeals which methodology cases can on the general have interaction months or years earlier than a final ruling is executed.

The allegations advance at a sensitive time for Haggis who faces a courtroom case in Novel York, following a civil lawsuit filed in 2017 by events publicist Haleigh Breest, who has accused the director of raping her after they met at a celebration in 2013.

A trial date has yet to be position attributable to a Covid-connected backlog. Since Breest went public, one other four ladies hold made an identical allegations.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button